Sunday, February 10, 2019

Mr. Eugene Melchiori Made a Difference in My Life

The Charles Schultz Philosophy  
 
The following is the philosophy of Charles Schulz, the creator of the 'Peanuts' comic strip. You don't have to actually answer the questions. Just ponder them and you'll get the point.
 
1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.

2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.

3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America pageant.

4 Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
  
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for Best Actor and Actress.
  
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.

How did you do?

The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday.

These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.  

Here's another quiz. See how you do on this
 one:
  
  1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through
     school:
  2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult
     time.
  3. Name five people who have taught you something
    worthwhile.
  4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and
     special.
  5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time
     with. 
 
   Easier?
  
The lesson:
  
The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money...or the most awards. They simply are the ones who care the most.

I have thought of that many times.



I had a counselor in high school and coach, the late Eugene Melchiori, Norway High, MI. 

When my father died I was 14 and the oldest of seven kids. 

My mother went on to marry an SOB who beat us kids. She and he were put in jail. 

The State took all of us away from my mother, who was uneducated and couldn't take care of us. Youngest was 3 years old...My sister and 4 of the brothers were put in the Catholic orphanage 80 miles away in Marquette, MI. Hardly saw them again. My second oldest brother Bob and I were taken in by our kind Uncle Romeo and Aunt Josephine so we could at least finish high school. I got so depressed with the kids being gone that I gave up studying and my grades dropped.

In a small town people seem to know what is going on. Gene approached me one day and said.  "I see your grades have all slipped and I understand the pain you are going through with your family separated,  but you have to finish high school or you will regret it the rest of your life. Finding a good job will be tough. So you should take typing, get your grades back up and I know life will get better for you and your sister and brothers in the future."

 My thinking before he told me that was to quit school and join the Army in a year or so. 

I got my grades back up and played sports.  was  not one of the better players, but schoolmates like Eddie DeRoeck, Art Marcell, and Johnny Nylund always encouraged me. 

If not for Mr. Melchiori I would not have. I saw him and his wife at my 40th class reunion. I told him how he helped me. He had tears in his eyes. I never forgot what he did for me. He passed away a couple of years ago. http://www.obituarymanager.com/pro/print_condolence.php?cust_id=6&id=32501

I also want to thank Mrs. Lovato. John's mother, who was the cook who always gave us kids an extra helping at lunch, knowing we most likely never got to have breakfast. 

So many others to thank, too. Especially ones that were always kind to me.

God Bless, Eugene Melchiori...for me, my brother Bob, too he is angel.  I am sure many of you have your stories, too about how a teacher or other adult changed your life. I might not be here today if not for him.

Joe

No comments: